Roles and benefits
Successful Transforming Lives Fellowship applicants will be appointed to a permanent position as a professor or associate professor.
If you need to relocate to take up one of these roles, you may be eligible for help with your moving costs.
Here’s what you can expect your first three years to look like.
Year 1 – you’re focused on establishing yourself as a research and innovation leader at Sheffield Hallam. Building your R&I portfolio and trajectory, you make wide-ranging connections that lead to internal and external collaborations, identify and develop research opportunities, and submit bids for funding.
Year 2 – research-led teaching and learning is now an important part of your remit, with about 20% of your role spent working with students. The majority of your time – around 60% – remains dedicated to research and innovation.
Year 3 – you are now fully embedded as an academic leader, contributing equally across research and teaching, with a sustainable external funding profile. You will also start to take on wider responsibilities in your department or centre, in line with your longer-term ambitions.
How we support you and your career
- Access to outstanding R&I facilities and infrastructure across a number of world-leading centres.
- A new pan-University Researcher and Innovator Development Academy, spanning all career transitions, disciplines, places and sectors, with the aim of developing a cadre of people able to upskill others.
- Our Research and Innovation Fund, providing approximately £1 million annual internal investment in research and innovation activity, supporting inclusive and impactful R&I contributing to growth and sustainability.
- Transforming Lives PhD scholarships, providing tuition fees at the home student rate and a stipend at the standard Sheffield Hallam PhD bursary rate (aligned with the Real Living Wage).
- Associate professors are eligible to apply for full professorship through our annual progression process.
- Family-friendly benefits include shared parental leave and enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave. You can also apply to use our onsite nursery.
- A flexible approach, with a mix of home and on-campus working as needed.
- Part-time applications are welcome.
In addition to a competitive salary, working for Sheffield Hallam brings a range of other benefits, from our location – in a fast-moving city with easy access to the Peak District – to generous annual leave provision.